Saturday, April 5, 2008

Maiden Voyage

First time on the Bolt bus, and I am a nervous about the possibility of the Bolt Bus not actually existing, and this $1 fare was a way to get my credit card number. I worry that I won't find the bus on 33rd and 7th. I even tried to plan to dry run a few weekends back, so I could find the street and remember key landmarks. M thought that was unnecessary. As I get off the train, I see it. The Bolt Bus. Snazzier than the Greyhound. Bright orange and shiny.

I talk to the bus driver, and he offers to put my bag in the bus. He moves the bus because he can't keep it parked there. I worry that I won't find the bus at the 5:30 boarding time.

I have some time to waste. I notice that on the street is a deli, a peep show, a Sbarro's, and nestled in between -- Fantasma. A magical toy store. Advertising Continuos Live Magic Shows. I take a cell-phone photo and immediately send it to M and P, challenging them to guess what the stores actually sells.

I figure that I have the time, so I walk up the many flights of stairs to the store. I expect a peep show, I expect a bizarre mix of magic tricks and nudity. I plan to walk in the door -- heavy and grey with the words Stage Door 1 painted on it -- and peek in, see what I see, and text M and P that I found a magic-themed peep show.

I open the door. Magic Shop. I saw a card trick. I bought fake poop. I went on my way.

Disappointed. A magic store is not funny enough to text about. I do anyway. Also, I write about it.

I talk to someone else who is waiting. She has never been to DC before, never been on a bus. I give some tips, and share my excitement about the new bus line.

The bus arrives, and I am one of the first on. The driver checks our print-out tickets. The bus was mostly empty. I chose a seat, but then two women sat behind me. I moved my seat, because I don't want to listen to their conversation for 4 hours. Never had the Greyhound offered me such an opportunity.

I move to a seat closer to the back, left side of the bus. My seat has an electrical outlet. I plug in my portable DVD player, even though it was fully charged.

The seats were comfortable, very clean -- not leather as advertised. So much leg room, I even took a picture. No one sat next to me. I watched my Netflix, I read, I texted. No smells, no babies, no complaints, no rest stops.

I used the bathroom. Clean! And it was not a big hole with everything sloshing around visibly underneath. It was air-plane style. And had real toliet paper. No hand sanitizer though, but I carry my own.

The ride was quiet and quick, comparatively.

Walk off the bus at 11th and G. No train ride after that. No cab. I meet M and walk home.


Sunday:

1:00 Bolt Bus. Walked to the bus. Bought coffee. A big crowd is gathered. Some people have tickets for a later time but try to get on this bus. They succeed.

Crowded bus this trip, but I manage to sit alone. I plan to charge my phone, but I left it at M's. I plug in my DVD player.
People are loud this trip. I read a magazine. I smell stinky food, it's always someone. It's the person two seats in front of me. I now hate her.

A man sitting across from me keeps pounding on his chest, loudly. I stare. His companion reaches over, and also pounds on his chest. He just doesn't stop. He pounds on and off for the whole ride.

Bathroom has hand sanitizer this time.

Due to traffic, we detoured into NJ. It added some time to the trip and I got antsy. Almost at 33rd and 7th, and a moving truck is blocking the street. The movers try to convince the driver to squeeze through. He refuses. After minutes of arguing, the driver says, "That's why you drive a truck, and I drive a $450,000 bus. A safe driver, which is not always guaranteed on some forms of DC-NY travel. I approve. Other riders complain about the long ride. I do, but I know that I'll be back.

Better than regular Greyhound in all areas.

Photos to be posted soon.

No comments: