Wednesday, April 30, 2008

live bloggin'

5:30 bus to DC. The line was unorganized. People were confused. An air conditioner in the building near the line blew dirt on us. The tickets were barely glanced at. I could have had a later ticket. Probably. I got my pick of a seat because of my ticket A status. Aisle seat with a plug. Yes, status. Loyalty club member.


I attempted to do my writing assignment but it was difficult to juggle between my textbook, written notes, powerpoint handouts, and computer. I gave up quickly.


Watched Picket Fences. My left earphone was broken. I texted. I went on my computer, and was impressed with my internet access. I emailed photos. As the email said, BoltBus now caters to Macs. If Netflix ever makes the Watch It Now feature available to us, my bus movie choices would be endless...almost.


My seatmate was quiet, slept sometimes, read, and made sure the bus did not leave without me when I went into the rest stop. He worked in Argentina for a non-profit. Now he works in NY. He is from the Midwest. He spoke about the Mega-bus, and its wonders.


The man behind me was a pain. Somehow, even though he was sitting alone and in the window seat, he kept kicking the back of mine.


It was his first bus to DC. And as he said on the phone, he saved $180 by not taking the train.


He also said that "there aren't many other bankers on this bus." Shut your face, sir. Maybe there are...maybe there are. Did you poll us? Then be quiet.


He continued to say that he ONLY regrets that he did not bring a coke bottle FILLED with vodka. Because it's Friday and he is feeling kinda dry.


We arrive in DC without incident.


1:00 bus to NY. I arrive just in time. I am on the second person to get on despite there being a line. I am ticket A - 2, and the bus driver actually boards according to letter and number, My likes include order and organization, so I love her. I even text about her.


Some 1:30's get on, some standbys. Some 3:00's tried.


A 1:00 came late, and had to wait until 1:30 because the seats were filled up. Do not show up late. Do not.


Every leather seat was filled, unlike at Greyhound where the drivers pretend that they are full. See past blogs to re-read my experience with that.


Seatmate is perfect. We both used the plug, I am at the window seat. I watched House, but I had seen two of the episodes on that disc already, so I was finished quickly. I checked my email. And now I will eat tomatoes, -- a variety of them, and read the Washington Post. 25 comic strips!


This is the first live blog. Since it is live, I cannot yet reveal how it ended. Did I hit traffic? Find out next time.

-l

Ed note: L did hit traffic, quite a lot of it in fact. So much that this trip now holds the dubious distinction of being the longest ever on a bus clocking it at a whopping 7 hours.

2 comments:

p said...

"He continued to say that he ONLY regrets that he did not bring a coke bottle FILLED with vodka. Because it's Friday and he is feeling kinda dry."

I would have loved to sit next to this man. We would have gotten along.

Lori said...

He seemed like the type that doesn't share.