Tuesday, April 8, 2008

first time, all over again

I've hinted at the high level of excitement that the bolt bus has inspired within me and L previously so I’ll try to curb my gushing here. Meandering over to the corner of 11th and G, I stopped to breathe in deep. The smell of spring and a change in the air upon us; words simply can’t express these kinds of phenomena. I was riding the crest of a new era, one filled with spacious leg room and deep pockets from savings. It took about an hour to come back down.
The bus smelled new, that awful mix of plastic (or leather for you high-rollers) that gets labeled as "new car smell." To my nose, it smells like sadness and factories, but I’ll do my best not to project my emotional reactions of smells onto you. As I make a mad dash down the aisle, I am desperately searching for an AV outlet as to not make my rental of "Apocalypse Now” in vein. It takes me 2/3 of the bus to realize that there placements are on the back of seats and not near the window as I expected.
The trip begins routinely and the people riding are rather...ordinary. Mostly students with some business types sprinkled about. The driver takes a detour somewhere outside of Baltimore where things begin to get a bit hairy. Now, my knowledge of routes and highways does not allow me to make grand accusatory statements with any real expertise behind it (i.e.- You've got to be a fool to take 295 at 4:30 on a Friday!) That being said, our route seemed unusual and somewhat creative yet ineffective in shaving off the time of the trip- my 3:00pm bus arrived at 33rd and 7th at 8:00pm.
We broke for a 10 minute rest stop, a rookie move considering the bus was not running on schedule. Note to Bolt Bus drivers: cigarette breaks and Filet-o-Fish are for those who are running early!
I took a step outside to stretch my legs. As I linger making phone calls, two droopy faced youngsters approach the driver. The conversation goes something like this:
Two misanthropes: "Have you been told about us? We were on the 1pm from DC and got off the bus and it left without us. We were told we'd be allowed to board this bus?"
Driver:I have no idea..." (makes phone call inquiring about stowed luggage a good question considering there is no actual bolt bus terminal opting for the time being to meet at specified street corners.)

Needless to say, these two didn't board our bus. Some have suggested they have been forced to start a new life at the Molly Pitcher rest area, an accusation I am in no position to confirm or deny. On my return trip, I hear a fellow passenger recount a time where she was left by a greyhound bus waiting for a Blimpie sandwich. Next time you don't get the bread toasted!

No comments: