Sunday, December 9, 2007

Friday, November 30, 2007. 5:30 estimated departure. 3rd on line for bus. 4th on line is a woman from Virginia. Her one-way ticket to DC is courtesy of a cop. He's happy to be sending her home to her family. When she goes to buy a coffee, he fills me in. She lived on the streets for 4 years, and he was tired of seeing her show up at the police station as often as she did. She has a NYPD snowglobe, a hat she found, and a book. This wasn't the first time she'd tried to 'Hound it home, so he is there to watch her get on the bus and stay on the bus. We boarded. No movie. A couple with a baby sits behind me -- they actually ask a woman to move so that they could sit together. Not they -- an older woman they are with does the asking, I decide that the older woman is the mother of the woman with the baby.

Can you switch seats so she can sit next to her husband?

The woman who moved must not have been a regular. It's just not done that way.

My seatmate is tolerable, quiet, and male. He does not seem as ruffled as I about the baby. Baby wasn't that annoying.

I watch Sunset Boulevard.
My soda from the Greyhound soda machine is warm. And it explodes on me.

Rest-stop.
I try to charge my DVD player battery to no avail. Get soda and a cookie for homebound Virginian. Get myself a soda. My seatmate seems surprised that I want to get back in my seat.

Reached DC. Virginian asks to use my phone. I gave some quarters instead and waited to be picked up.

I hope her family was happy that she came back. I hope she made it to Virginia.



Sunday, December 2nd, 2007. 12:01 estimated departure. Just made the bus. 12:06 actual departure. Movie is Bridge to Terebithia. A children's movie? At least its not that Robin Williams movie where he runs for President. There is one child on the bus; he sits in the seat in front of me. No one smelled. My seatmate is tolerable, offers me chips, and quiet.

No comments: