Friday, May 9, 2008

Seat-mate, quiet service dog.

Will you be traveling with oxygen or a respirator?

Do you have a service dog?

Do you have a hearing disability?

Do you have a vision disability?

Do you have a wheelchair?



Call Bolt! Or Click on their Special Travel Needs link, and put in your phone number. Bolt will call you back, and set you up with some (not legally required till 2012) accommodations!

I first read this in the May Issue of Able News -- the newspaper positively for, by, and about the disabled. My weekend mode of transport and my work-related free newspaper finally met and surprised me -- Said that Bolt is 100% accessible -I had an inkling because of the wheelchair picture near the doors of the bus, but 100%? Bolt... I've used your bathrooms.

TANGENT: I have witnessed a Greyhound employee say "You're on the wrong line...WRONG LINE. What are you, deaf? READ MY LIPS, wrong line..." to someone who WAS deaf or hard of hearing...so Bolt..you definately beat Greyhound there. And me as well, since as I may or may not have written in the blog, I told the same person what bus to get on, which I also got on, and it was the wrong bus.

I would copy and paste the article here, but ablenews.com requires a password. A PASSWORD.

And someone who knows who she is TOOK my Able News right off my desk, so I cannot scan it in for you. And i got that one at the Library, not even at work.

I did some research... if reading the FAQs on Bolt's website can be considered research.


I have a disability and want to travel, what do I do?

On the home page you’ll see a link for customers with disabilities. Click on this link and you’ll be guided through the process. We recommend (as with all our customers) that you use this link and make a reservation in advance, save some money and guarantee your place on the bus. Walk up customers are always welcome on a space available basis.

Is your fleet wheelchair lift equipped?
Yes, the BOLTBUS fleet is 100% wheelchair equipped.


Not much information, but I am curious about the hearing disability options.

1 comment:

Candy Harrington said...

Interestingly enough, Bolt is *owned* by Greyhound. It's kind of a shock to me, as i've also covered a lot of Greyhound horror stories.

I know because I just did a story on them for Emerging Horizons and the person who talked to me about access was from Corporate Communications at Greyhound. Still they seem to do really well with access as 100% of their fleet is lift-equipped.

Candy Harrington
Editor, Emerging Horizons
candy@EmergingHorizons.com